Friday, November 30, 2012

Chicklit Author Interview - April Aasheim

Hi April, I’m glad to have you on my blog. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is April. I’m married and living in Portland, OR. I write books, maintain a blog, and sort socks. I’m currently failing at the last endeavor.

 
Where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born in Las Vegas and spent most of my childhood traveling between Arizona and Nevada. My parents were free spirits, always chasing the next dream. We lived in a variety of places including motels, an abandoned miner’s shack, and a swank house in the hills. As a result, I do not have a specific place I call home but I have formed attachments to many towns and tourist attractions.

What do you do when you are not writing?

I’ve got a variety of interests. I really enjoy doing crafts, especially around the holidays, and baking. I also teach Zumba Fitness…to combat the baking. I also spend time with my kids, my husband, and my mother. That takes up most of my time.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

I always wanted to be a writer but I thought I would end up writing songs instead. As a kid I’d spend hours alone in the park making up songs. One of my classics used the lyrics “Boy, Oh Boy, Ardee…look what you’ve done to me.” A kid in my class said I was going to get sued by Chef Boy Ardee and I never quite recovered from that one. To this day I can’t eat a can of Ravioli’s without seeing the disapproving sneer on his face.

Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?

I think every book becomes a part of you. I originally wanted to write like a Bronte but it seems I was born in the wrong century. Now I write more like a Bombeck.

 
What does your family think of your writing?

I don’t think my family ever took my writing seriously. With my blonde hair and Smurfette good looks, my family seemed pretty amazed that I wanted to pursue anything that didn’t involve picking flowers. The greatest compliment I’ve ever gotten was from my brother a few months ago when he publically said “Your writing has gotten really, really good.” That made my year.

 
Tell us about something that has just happened or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share.

I was a teen parent. At the age when most girls were out partying I was at home changing diapers and warming bottles. In some ways, I think that saved me. I never did the partying thing and it taught me to work hard and to value the simple things in life like love and family. My son raised me as much as I raised him.

 
Give us three random facts about you. Be creative. Tell us about your first job, the inspiration for your writing, any fun details you feel like sharing.

1. My first job was working at Chuck E Cheese. One day the guy that usually dressed up as Chuckee was sick and I got the honor of donning the mouse suit. Kids kicked me, tripped me, and tried to pull out my whiskers. Consequently, that was also my last day at Chuck E Cheese.

2. I never had a Sweet 16 party. To make up for it my parents threw me a Sweet 32 party when I came of age. I felt a bit ridiculous sitting there with a pink fluffy cake in a room covered in confetti, but it was still very sweet.

3. My mom reads Tarot cards and swears she talks to the dead. One time I teased her about it and just then all the lights in my house started blinking on and off. It was the last time I teased her. Not saying I am 100% converted, but better safe than sorry.

 
What is your favorite quote of all time?

Love is a gift, not an expectation.

How many books have you written?

I’ve written three books. The Universe is a Very Big Place, The Witches of Dark Root, and Jojoba Mountain. The last two are still in the editing phase.

Which one is your favorite?

They are all so different. The Universe is a wacky, wonky feel good love story and I had a lot of fun writing it. It reads pretty easily but was actually tough to write because it was essentially a humorous piece. The Witches of Dark Root, however, holds a special place in my heart. It’s about a family of witches that must all come together to save their mother, their town, and maybe the world. It was great fun to play around with magic and sibling rivalry and small town life.

 
Who is your favorite character?

Lanie from The Universe is a Very Big Place. She is completely nuts yet sensitive and loving. She comes across as a simple lady but beneath it all she has a lot of wisdom she is always willing to share.

 
Have you written a book you love that has not gained the reviews you expected?

The Universe is a Very Big Place is the only book that is currently published and it’s only been on the market for two months. Already, I have three reviews, one from a fairly reputable site. It is interesting to see how people react to the book, however. It is first and foremost a comedy, and then a love story. If someone is reading it and thinks it’s a straight romance they may be shocked to learn that there is also a lot of quirk.

 
What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?

The toughest criticism is always any criticism. I want people to love my stuff. Still, I’ve had to learn that my stories may not be for everyone and that’s okay. That goes for compliments too. Anytime someone reads my stuff and is moved enough to write and tell me how much they enjoyed it, I feel like I’m on the right path.

 
Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?

I love all my characters in The Universe is a Very Big Place. They are wild and quirky and a place where I could play around with ‘crazy’. I may write a sequel one day. I’ve also left the ending of The Witches of Dark Root open so that I can go back and write another book or two. It’s just so fun to play around with witchery and family dynamics.

 
How about a little 7/7/7? Not counting the intro or title pages, go to the seventh page in the book you are currently writing, go down to the seventh line, and give us the next seven sentences.

From The Witches of Dark Root:

 
     “Maybe if you went home you’d get some perspective on things,” Michael said as the cashier scanned our groceries. I glanced at a woman’s magazines – a smiling jack-o-lantern stared back at me. Halloween would be here soon, my favorite holiday and one of the things I missed most about the outside world. In Dark Root, everything revolved around the holiday and we spent the entire year in preparation. But those days were behind me. Michael believed that Trick-or-treating, while not the Devil’s work, kept us locked in an illusionary world. It was a metaphor, he said, for how each of us had been living our lives prior to joining his commune.

 
Is there a message in your novels that you want readers to grasp?

I think the message in all my stories is that love conquers all. It may be the love of a soul mate, the love of family, or the love of a barnyard animal, but as long as you have it your life will be filled with magic.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment